This project took me about 2-3hours to do, including the shopping ;)
Note: Items used in this tutorial were purchased on my own from a local thrift shop and dollar store.
- sewing kit, sewing machine, OR glue gun
- fabric scissors (any pair of scissors)
- measuring tape / ruler
- marker / pen
- 2 jeans similar shade
- Optional: newspaper/cardboard to protect flat surface of glue and scratches
|DIY Overalls with 2 Jeans - Materials|
You can start with jeans you currently own and work with adding in the overall part. Do what you feel comfortable with.
1 pair, current fit or loose fit [JEANS X]
1 pair, very loose fit [ JEANS Y]
- Put aside JEANS X
- Cut 6 pieces of velcro, about 1-inch length
Steps - Overall Chest:
- Take JEANS Y back pockets facing up.
- Take a ruler/measuring tape and mark the length you'd like, leaving about 1- 1.5 inches (for tucking inside JEANS X)
- Cut JEANS Y (Photo: see green lines).
Steps - Overall Straps:
- JEANS Y: using the pant leg, measure 1- inch in width and cut length wise up the pant leg (x 2)
- Optional: fold if you need thinner or thicker straps
Steps - Piecing Together:
- Using the marker: Mark where you'd like to place the velcro. Don't worry if you make mistakes this will be all inside JEANS X. Total of 4 marks, 2 back, 2 front.
- Using velcro soft-furry side: sew/glue velcro at the markings. Using the soft velcro on JEANS X will prevent scratching when overalls chest is detached ;)
- Using velcro scratchy-side: sew/glue of velcro to both ends of straps [x4], back of overall chest [x2]
- Add the back straps to JEANS X, leaving strap ends hanging. Once jeans are on, tuck/attach overall chest. Taking the strap ends hanging from your back, attach to overall chest.
Share your Overall results : Twitter | E-Mail | Blog
These overalls were used as apart of my Despicable Me Agnes costume